Healthy & Nutritious
Native to Australia, the flightless Emu offers a red meat that is high in iron and protein and low in fat and cholesterol.
The taste and texture of Emu meat is comparative to grass fed beef. Emu meat is very lean and care must be taken not to overcook it.
Emu is best served slightly rare. Emu meat possesses a wonderful flavor and healthy nutritional value; a combination you will enjoy.
The top ten reasons why you should eat EMU meat.
10. - EMU meat is RED meat!
9. - EMU meat is LOW in fat!
8. - EMU meat is LOW in cholesterol!
7. - EMU meat is LOW in calories!
6. - EMU meat is HIGH in Protein!
5. - EMU meat has the TEXTURE and TASTE of beef, but not the fat!
4. - EMU meat can be used in any recipe that calls for beef!
3. - EMU meat is HEALTHFUL and recommended by nutritionists!
2. - EMU meat is USDA INSPECTED and served at 100's of grocery stores and restaurants!
1. - EMU meat tastes GOOD!
Careful Cooking Prevents Dryness
Emu meat is a delicious, naturally low-fat red meat, a plus for the health-conscious consumer. Because emu meat is so low in fat, it requires careful cooking to avoid becoming dry.
* As a general rule, emu meat should be cooked to an internal temperature of 150 and 160 degrees F (66-71C). This will cook emu steaks and roasts to "rare" or "medium rare". Longer cooking will cause it to become dry.
* Grilling works well with these meats. They can also be roasted, braised, stir-fried and otherwise used in recipes, as you would beef.
* Emu is good smoked, if you have a smoker. First soak in brine for at least two, but no more than six hours. It is especially good cold, after smoking.
* Try marinating it for a couple of hours, refrigerated, in a little wine or stock and fresh herbs and garlic before cooking.
* Add a dry rub on these meats, then let them sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before grilling. Here are two possible dry-rub combinations: cumin, different peppers and garlic; allspice, clove and ginger, perhaps some brandy.
* You can also use prepared packaged spice mixes as a dry rub. Some possibilities: taco seasoning, Italian seasoning, fajita seasoning or honey-Dijon powder dressing.
The following are the best cooking methods for various cuts of emu meat:
Dry Heat used for fan fillet, top loin, and inside strip.
Moist Heat used for round and rump.
Nutritional Value of Meat
Bottom Round Beef
*(Based on 4 oz. serving (114 gm) raw by Kathy Gray, MS, RD/LD)*
Click on USDA Nutritional Database SR 15
Detailed nutritional values for emu meat.